Natural language processing (NLP) is a branch of computer science and artificial intelligence that enables computers to understand and interpret speech and written text. NLP combines computational linguistics with statistical, machine learning, and deep learning models to understand a speaker or writer's meaning, intent, and sentiment.
NLP is essential to many contemporary technologies. Voice-activated assistants like Siri and Alexa rely on NLP technology. Customer service chatbots, voice-operated GPS systems, and the autocorrect and predictive text functions on smart phones are all examples of how NLP is used in real-life applications.
How does NLP work?
NLP technologies transform text from unstructured information into a format that a machine can read. Computational linguistics technology creates frameworks that help machines understand the meaning of language, and machine learning algorithms train computers to recognize human language features like sarcasm, metaphors, and variations in grammar and sentence structure. Deep learning technologies create neural networks that resemble the human brain, allowing computers to recognize and classify complex conversations.
What is NLP’s greatest benefit?
NLP enables computers to automatically digest and understand spoken and written conversations in a broad range of media far more quickly than human beings. This capability allows businesses to capture, process, and analyze vast amounts of unstructured information in recordings of phone calls as well as email, chat, websites, social media, and other channels. By processing and analyzing conversations at scale, NLP can ultimately reveal insights and intelligence that were previously hidden. NLP technologies can also process and understand written and spoken language in real time to aid in many different situations.
What are NLP use cases for business?
NLP technologies may be applied to a wide range of business use cases, including:
- Virtual assistants. Technologies like Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s Siri use rely on NLP technology to understand the questions and requests made by human users.
- Spam detection. NLP solutions help filter out spam by searching for characteristic signs such as bad grammar, urgency, misspellings, and overuse of financial terms.
- Language translation. NLP technologies accurately translate text from one language to another, choosing words and phrasing that more accurately communicate meaning and intention than a standard word-for-word translation.
- Chatbots. Many businesses use chatbots on websites that are powered by NLP technology, which can recognize contextual clues in user requests to provide more accurate responses.
- Sentiment analysis. NLP powers sentiment analysis of language in online reviews, social media posts, and other customer communications, providing companies with a deeper understanding of how customers feel about products, brands, advertising campaigns, and more.
- Redaction. NLP helps businesses search for and redact personally identifiable information (PII) and sensitive data in vast amounts of financial records, medical information, and other private data.
- Text analysis. NLP software can digest, sort, categorize, and summarize large numbers of documents, accomplishing tasks in a fraction of the time it would take human beings to do the same.
What is NLP used for in contact centers?
In contact centers, NLP technologies enable businesses to automatically analyze 100% of customer conversations, leading to deeper insights and more accurate feedback about customer wants, needs, opinions, and behavior. This intelligence can help businesses enhance the performance of agents in contact centers, improve the quality of interactions at every touchpoint on the customer journey, increase the effectiveness of sales teams, ensure compliance with regulations, and drive transformational business change.
What is conversation intelligence vs. NLP?
Conversation intelligence solutions provide technology for capturing, transcribing, and analyzing audio and text-based customer conversations via phone, email, chat, social, SMS text, web, and other channels. Conversation intelligence leverages NLP and other technologies like machine learning and acoustical analysis to accurately understand the meaning, intent, and emotion in a speaker’s or writer’s words.
How does CallMiner use NLP technology?
CallMiner is the global leader in conversation intelligence technology, providing the most comprehensive platform for analyzing omnichannel customer interactions at scale. CallMiner’s analytics combines natural language processing, AI, machine learning, and other technologies to analyze interactions at the deepest levels, interpreting nuance and identifying patterns that reveal new areas of opportunity. With CallMiner, organizations can capture and analyze 100% of conversations with customers, delivering the insights that matter most, faster than any other solution on the market.