Employee experience is a worker’s perception of their employment, based on every aspect of their job from the hiring process to the eventual exit interview. Employee experience may be impacted by relationships with supervisors and peers, office culture, physical workspace, tools and technology, relationships with customers, level of training, and many other factors.
Why is employee experience important?
The quality of an employee’s experience has a strong impact on how hard they work, how well they collaborate, how engaged they are in moving the business forward, and how effective they are at serving customers. In a marketplace where attracting and retaining top talent is harder than ever, exceptional employee experiences can be a competitive differentiator.
What are the benefits of a positive employee experience?
Positive employee experiences offer enormous advantages.
- Lower turnover. Workers are more likely to remain in jobs where their employee experience is positive.
- Reduced absenteeism. Happy employees tend to be healthier and take fewer sick days.
- Greater engagement. When employees are engaged in their work, they are more likely to excel at their jobs and go above and beyond to help the business achieve its goals.
- Higher customer satisfaction. Happy employees are more likely to provide positive customer experiences, leading to greater customer satisfaction and customer loyalty.
- Stronger bottom line. By improving employee engagement, increasing retention, and enhancing customer experiences, a positive employee experience ultimately results in an organization that is more efficient and profitable.
What impacts employee experience?
Various factors may impact the quality of an employee’s experience with a company.
- Supervision. The quality of interactions with supervisors and the support that employees receive from managers is one of the biggest determinants of employee experience.
- Relationships. Interactions with peers, coworkers, and clients or customers are a large part of the employee experience.
- Technology. Employee experience is inevitably improved when workers have the tools and technology they need to perform their jobs effectively.
- Training. Adequate training and coaching are essential to building a workplace culture that fosters positive work experiences.
- Environment. From the cubicle or office to common areas and amenities, the physical workplace environment can significantly impact how employees experience their jobs.
How can companies improve employee experience?
Businesses can take several concrete steps to enhance experiences for employees.
- Listen to employees. Collecting regular feedback from employees about their experience with the company can reveal areas for improvement.
- Improve onboarding and training. Providing exceptional orientation and training equips employees with the tools and knowledge they need to be successful in their jobs.
- Focus on employee well-being. Office cultures that focus on physical, mental, emotional, and personal well-being are better able to deliver exceptional employee experiences.
What are the challenges of improving employee experience?
One of the biggest challenges of improving the employee experience is gaining an accurate view of how employees experience their jobs and workplace. Typically, employers have used annual or biannual employee surveys, performance reviews, and exit interviews to understand the drivers of employee experience. While these tools offer value, they capture only a fraction of the potential feedback from employees. Consequently, many organizations are adopting conversation intelligence platforms that can capture solicited and unsolicited employee feedback embedded in phone calls, videoconferences, chats, emails, texts, and interactions on other channels.
What is conversation intelligence?
Conversation intelligence platforms use AI and machine learning to extract meaningful insights from unstructured information in audio and text-based interactions. By capturing, transcribing, categorizing, analyzing, and scoring every conversation with employees across all channels, conversation intelligence software delivers deeper insights into how employees feel about their work and what can improve the quality of their experience. Conversation intelligence is especially effective at capturing unsolicited feedback – the comments that employees share with colleagues, supervisors, and HR departments. By capturing these conversations and analyzing them for insight, conversation intelligence technology can help employers to understand employee pain points and what steps are necessary to create more positive experiences.
How can CallMiner Eureka help improve the employee experience?
CallMiner is the global leader in conversation intelligence technology that drives business improvement. The CallMiner Eureka platform is the industry’s most comprehensive solution for analyzing omnichannel interactions at scale. By capturing 100% of conversations that employees have with customers, colleagues, managers, and others in the organization, CallMiner can help companies uncover key drivers and common concerns across the employee base to improve employee happiness and satisfaction.