VoC is short for Voice of the Customer. VoC is the collective feedback from customers concerning how they think and feel about a brand and its products and services.
What is a VoC solution?
VoC solutions help businesses better understand what customers want from a brand and how well the brand is fulfilling their expectations. VoC solutions combine technologies for collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data from customers. VoC solutions often gather feedback in the moment as customers interact with a company across many channels including contact centers, email, social media, mobile apps, websites, chat, and others.
Why is VoC important?
VoC enables businesses to understand what customers are thinking and feeling before, during, and after their interactions with the brand. This research reveals insight into what customers want, need, and expect from a brand, and illuminates the drivers of customer behavior, emotion, and sentiment. When collected at scale, VoC data can help businesses understand how to enhance customer interactions at every touchpoint to reduce friction, improve conversions, increase retention, and build greater customer loyalty.
What are the benefits of measuring VoC?
VoC data enables businesses to:
- Enhance product planning and development. When every design decision for a new product or service is based on VoC data, product teams can innovate with greater confidence.
- Improve services. VoC feedback enables businesses to continually enhance customer-facing services with suggestions from the customers they are designed to serve.
- Strengthen marketing. By revealing the wants, needs, and pain points of customers, VoC data enables marketing teams to target messaging, tactics, and campaigns more effectively.
- Identify opportunities. VoC data reveals customer desires and pain points, enabling businesses to uncover opportunities to reach new audiences, develop new products, and offer new services. VoC information about competing products and brands can help businesses increase competitiveness and stake out areas of differentiation.
- Build customer loyalty. Companies that use VoC to continually improve the customer experience inevitably build a stronger, more loyal customer base.
How is VoC measured?
VoC can be measured through direct customer feedback, indirect feedback, and inferred feedback. Direct feedback includes VoC surveys, market research, in-person interviews, and customer forms. Indirect or unsolicited feedback occurs in conversations with customers via email, chat platforms, social media posts, and telephone calls with contact center agents. Inferred feedback includes transaction and operational information such as website usage data, heat maps, customer location data, purchase history, and other transactional information.
What is the best way to measure VoC?
While businesses measure VoC in a variety of ways, most techniques only a limited understanding of the voice of the customer. Focus groups, surveys, and interviews with individual customers all provide some value but are inherently limited in scope. Surveys, for example, capture a small percentage of customers and tend to be heavily influenced by the customer’s most recent interaction on a particular channel. Focus groups and interviews capture an even smaller sample size. To gain a comprehensive view of the voice of the customer, many organizations employ conversation intelligence platforms to collect and analyze feedback from every customer, on every channel, at every touchpoint.
Conversation intelligence solutions use AI and machine learning technologies to capture, transcribe, and analyze conversations with customers on every channel – phone calls, email, chat, SMS text, surveys, social media, websites, and others. Conversation intelligence uses text and speech analytics to determine the meaning of a customer’s words and the emotion and sentiment behind them. By automatically capturing every conversation that companies have with customers, conversation intelligence offers a much fuller and more nuanced understanding of the voice of the customer.
How does CallMiner help measure and understand VoC?
The CallMiner Eureka conversation intelligence platform makes it possible to capture and analyze 100% of omnichannel customer conversations at scale. CallMiner captures the unstructured information and unsolicited feedback in customer conversations, transforming it into structured data that can be easily searched, analyze, and categorized for insight. Analyzing interactions at the deepest levels, CallMiner Eureka helps identify patterns, interpret nuance, and understand the sentiment and emotion that drives customer behavior. With CallMiner, businesses can use their VoC strategies to understand where they are meeting customer expectations, why customers take specific actions, which customers are at risk of churn, and where there are gaps in the customer experience that must be addressed.