CallMiner analyzed 82 million customer support calls and found that call scripts can make customers angry and more likely to swear.
While most people avoid swearing at work, letting a curse word fly from time to time does have a few advantages.
There are a few ways cursing helps:
- You can vent without punching anyone.
- It can boost your pain tolerance.
- It can help you bond with your colleagues.
On the flip side, there are many good reasons to speak carefully to your colleagues and customers:
- You can look unprofessional if you don’t time your cursing right.
- You’ll damage your message if the audience is skeptical.
- You could get sued if you create a hostile work environment.
The bad news if you’re managing a call center is that customers who curse will be on the line much longer than people who don’t use profanity.