Customer engagement has evolved from the origins of customer satisfaction and customer delight. Today, customer engagement is defined as the profound relationship that the customer has with your brand.
In today’s digital age, irrespective of which industry you are in, customers expect an immediate or near-instant response as well as a picture-perfect anticipation of their wants. To meet this requirement, businesses are getting competitive and aiming to provide hyper-personalized experiences to keep their customers enrolled and engaged with their brand, products, and services.
Designing a well-crafted customer engagement strategy is an excellent way to boost sales and drive profitability. More companies are incorporating customer engagement tools such as speech analytics and chatbots to better gain deeper insight into customer engagement and respond readily to consumers across digital channels by leveraging technologies such as artificial intelligence.
With many tools, technologies, and tactics that play a role in customer engagement, developing a strategy can seem daunting. To get you started, we’ve compiled a list of 50 different customer engagement resources, including both videos and slide presentations, by highly regarded individuals in the industry. For more expert insights on customer engagement, visit CallMiner’s Learning Center to access dozens of white papers, videos, articles, and other resources to help you develop and execute a top-notch customer engagement strategy.
The 50 must-see presentations below are listed in no particular order, but are separated by category including:
Engage Business Media
This video is presented by Mike Havard, Director at Ember Services, at the Telecos/Utilities Director Forum 2014. The video covers customer engagement opportunities and challenges and covers topics such as regulation in a social context, the value of complaints, personal data implications, and what transformation and growth means in customer engagement.
- Understanding customer engagement and why organizations make it so hard
- Securing board commitment for funding solutions
- Discusses nine important themes around customer engagement
Engage Business Media
This video, from the fifth Directors Forum of 2014, takes a look at the important connection between employees and customer engagement. One of the key highlights includes understanding the shift between wanting to be customer-centric and enforcing an actionable strategy to actually make it happen. The video covers a panel of different speakers who discuss the relationship between employees and customer engagement.
- Understanding the bridge between staff engagement and customer engagement
- Incorporating employee engagement in putting the customer first
- Using staff engagement to delight the customer
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Gaining users is the key to the cloud. This presentation is one that is regularly at the AWS conference “re:Invent”. However, in this particular version, Joel Williams changes the game a bit to help you scale to your first 11 million users. If you have a great product for sale, but can’t handle a large amount of traffic at once — this presentation will help you plan to scale AWS resources quickly.
- Techniques for scaling an application on AWS
- Why “auto-scaling” is not where you should start
- Reasoning for starting with SQL databases for your scalabilty
- Direct gameplans and examples from 1 million to 11 million users
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Push notifications are a crucial part of creating a game play experience that retains and reengages users. If an app that keeps running in the cloud, messages can be delivered to your players. The right communication at the right time can improve your engagement and build long-term relationships with your users.
- 65% of mobile apps are abandoned within 90 days
- Effectively sending mass messages versus using 1 to 1 communication based on analytics and player actions
- Real time examples of notifications as well as a look at analytics and how to process data
Rob Howard, founder of Cult Collective, delivers this compelling talk at a TEDx event at St. Lawrence College. Howard boasts a marketing career spanning 20+ years, and in addition to founding Cult Collective, he founded a think tank, a global summit (The Gathering), and authored a book, Fix: Break the Addiction That’s Killing Brands. Howard discusses how consumers tend to “evangelize” to others in the spur of the moment and how brands can capitalize on this enthusiasm and win the allegiance of die-hard fans through customer engagement.
- What makes customers loyal to the world’s most coveted brands
- How successful brands are like modern-day cults in disguise (in a good way)
- What successful brands did to survive in times of economic diversity while spending less on traditional forms of marketing
This video is presented by Doug Stephens at the Lavin Agency Speakers Bureau. He holds the opinion that every retailer understands that customer experience is crucial, but very few really know how to implement it. Being one of the world’s foremost retail speakers and consumer futurists, he drives the idea that, “We have to allow customers to feel like they’re not just walking into a different store, but walking into a different world.”
- Retail stores have to be a “story”
- Making stores less static
- Engaging customers by creating a sensory experience
This video is a talk by Mathew Sweezey, “marketing evangelist” for Salesforce.com. He is also the author of “Marketing Automation for Dummies.” He provides an overview of modern customer engagement and explains how to execute a marketing strategy that drives lasting results.
- How to value buy-in for your efforts
- Social media tactics and strategies that get results
- How the modern customer makes buying decisions
- Lead nurturing best practices to increase lead flow
This video discusses how customers and Microsoft Retail Stores are successfully executing new customer engagement models. Microsoft Solutions Specialist and Retail Industry Solutions Director Pinar Salk covers how Microsoft Retail Stores are implementing an end-to-end customer engagement experience from mobile browsing to in-store purchases and more.
- Implementing a frictionless shopping experience using a mobile app
- Driving higher conversion and customer retention in the engagement process to impact the bottom line
- Empowering sales associates to recommend curated products catered to the customer based on individual personal insights and data
This video from Salesforce brings together a panel of experts who impart expert tips and insights about the latest customer engagement strategies that are ready to be implemented and put into action. Discussions are centered around a properly designed customer engagement strategy that inspires, creates loyalty, and drives profit.
- Defining customer engagement and discussing example case studies
- Meeting customer expectations and personalizing the engagement process
- Handling and understanding customer data and acting on it
- Customer engagement best practices and strategies
This video features keynote speaker Jon Suarez-Davis (“JSD”), who is Salesforce’s chief cloud marketing officer. He has experience working with some of the world’s biggest brands. In his talk, he draws upon real life examples to explain how customer engagement can be enhanced in the age of intelligent marketing.
- New level of engagement
- Brand marketing and performance marketing
- Salesforce’s vision for the future of marketing
- Predictions for digital advertising in 2020
- Core competencies: Know, Engage, and Personalize
In this video by PegaWorld, Dr. Rob Walker, VP of Decision Management and Analytics at Pegasystems, discusses both the advantages and potential risks of using Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the customer engagement process.
- Balancing the risks and rewards of Artificial Intelligence
- Discussing how AI can be a threat to human existence and how we can control and trust it
- Difference between Opaque and Transparent AI
- Where to allow Opaque AI and where to insist on transparency
- Predicting outcomes based on AI
In this video, 25-year veteran employee and Senior Vice President of Products at Pegasystems, Kerim Akgonul, discusses how technologies like artificial intelligence (AI), DevOps, and robotic automation are building agility and transforming customer engagement in organizations.
- Automating AI for customer engagement
- Providing real-life case studies on how AI is being used today to enhance customer engagement
- Bridging the gap between customer engagement, operational efficiency, and business agility
This video gives a walkthrough of how to spot customers who are at risk of churn and use preemptive measures before they are defected. It talks about using predictive analytics capabilities to drive customer retention by accurately targeting campaigns, which allows you to retain valuable customers while boosting your revenue.
- Deliver customer insights to front-line decision-makers and systems
- Boost customer lifetime value through personalized efforts
- Predict which customers are at risk of leaving
- Identify choice prospects for highly targeted marketing programs
- Enhance sales forecasting, accelerating sales cycles
This video covers a webinar conducted by Insurance Nexus with a panel of three leading speakers and discusses how to raise customer engagement in the insurance industry. Key topics covered include analyzing the customer journey and identifying where the pain points are, how to improve customer engagement, and measuring interactions with customers.
- How insurance carriers can improve their customer engagement
- Practical advice, case study examples and best practices for the insurance industry
- Innovating and using technology to interact with customers
This video, delivered by enterprise resource planning (ERP) giant SAP, talks about how digital transformation is impacting how to deal with customers and why organizations need to think beyond the CRM. Leading speakers from SAP discuss actionable strategies for customer engagement and reveal how SAP offerings, such as the “SAP Hybris portfolio and SAP Jam Communities,” can help you reach digital transformation objectives.
- How to exceed customer expectations and delight with digital solutions
- Delivering richer, faster, and better digital experiences personalized to the customer
- Understanding digital businesses and why customers are their most important assets
- Assisted and unassisted customer support before, during, and after the purchase
Google+: CustomerEdge TV
This video talks about the role that social media has played on the way businesses sell, market, and serve their customers. Irrespective of industry, whether it is telecom or heavy machinery, the competition is ever increasing which makes it necessary to provide a personalized experience to each customer.
- How to engage with personalized social media in B2B and B2C situations
- How to involve influencers and advocates, and foster their growth
- Learning from best practices and avoiding pitfalls
Couchbase CMO Peter Finter discusses the attributes and values of an engagement database and how Couchbase clients are transforming their organizations with improved customer engagement, personalized experiences, lower costs, and time-sensitive innovation.
- Changes impacting businesses today that requires them to rethink customer experience
- Challenges of customer engagement and how to overcome them
- How businesses can revolutionize customer engagement and reap the rewards
- Employing technology to give customers a unique experience
Google G Suite
There are a many “real world” problems in the retail and ecommerce space — especially when it comes to customer engagement. Google has provided a short tutorial about how Chrome can help alleviate many of these scenarios. The focus of the webinar is to help connect sales associates in a way that improves customer engagement through the production of “regular, lively content”.
- Discovering the top two operational challenges of the retail world
- How Chrome can help modernize and rethink workflows
- Enhancing and improving communication across a distributed workforce
In this video, Service Cloud experts from Salesforce discuss the importance of adapting your service organization to engage a whole new breed of technology savvy customers who expect immediate answers and support at every step of their customer experience journey. They uncover strategies for connecting with customers and building meaningful relationships, and the role of a customer engagement center to transform customer experience.
- How mobile and social media are transforming customer service today
- Delivering outstanding customer service at every point of customer interaction
- Deploying and running a customer engagement center successfully
- Achieving measurable results through increased agent productivity
This demo by Pitney Bowes covers how organizations need to be relevant and interact with customers on every marketing channel today. It shows ways to optimize and simplify communication for mobile devices and discusses the importance of AV interactions to create engaging and personal customer experiences.
- Identifying current trends in customer engagement
- Providing digitized customer engagement management solutions
- Discussing the future of customer driven “predictive” engagement
- Scalable, compliant and secure mobile-first customer engagement
TiE Silicon Valley
Inhi Cho Suh, GM Watson Customer Engagement at IBM, discusses the human and business impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI), and how AI combined with other disruptive technologies such as IOT and Blockchain are drastically transforming different industries including HealthTech, FinTech, MarTech, and more.
- How AI and machine learning is transforming customer engagement
- Creating real-time personalized experiences using AI
- Identifying the challenges of AI and offering solutions
- Employing an AI powered platform to holistically analyze customer data and deliver the best possible customer experience
22. Danielle Levitas (App Annie) on How to Grow Customer Engagement through Mobile | TNW Conference 2017
Danielle Levitas, Senior Vice President and Research and Analysis team lead at App Annie, talks about how to grow customer engagement through mobile. With most customers mobile today and a good part of them spending 2+ hours a day on mobile apps, she emphasizes the importance of mobile-first marketing. This video also covers the importance of using customer data to understand what consumers want and expect and how to use mobile apps to create an intimate level of engagement with a customer.
- Why and how to reach out to customers on mobile devices
- Growing customer engagement through mobile app interactions
- Increasing ROI and building a better business through apps
Research from Gartner predicts that in the next two years almost 90% of all companies will be providing customer support on social media. This webinar video shows how to build meaningful customer relationships by providing stellar customer service through a variety of social media channels.
- Social media best practices for effortless customer engagement
- Dealing with rising expectations and providing instant/near-instant responses
- How to handle social media customer service queries
- Social media excellence checklist
In this video, CRO Samantha Skey from RecycleBank and leading executives from NativeX, Electronic Arts, and SponsorPay discuss relevant case studies of how brands and businesses can use gamification to push sales and increase customer engagement. Going beyond just reward points and tokens, they discuss strategies that can be borrowed from gaming to attract new leads and gaining customer loyalty.
Download our guide on how to use gamification to improve call center performance!
- Importance of gamification to drive sales and enhance customer experience
- Offering rewards to customers for user-directed opt-ins
- ‘Mobile to in-store’ and ‘in-store to mobile’ customer engagement
Karan Verma, product manager for Dry Ice at HCL Technologies, discusses Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning and the millions of variables involved in delivering the data to be used to drive customer engagement.
- When to employ machine learning vs. human interaction
- How large-scale enterprises can use AI to enhance customer engagement
- Discussing current and future trends in AI
- Building the gap between different marketing platforms to engage a customer in their customer journey
A live podcast video by CityGro, a company that builds marketing and client retention tools, discusses how to build customer loyalty and keep people coming back, and how businesses can improve customer retention and develop marketing strategies to better engage customers.
- Exploring innovative ways to get people to engage with your business, brand, and loyalty programs
- Getting direct feedback from customers to help businesses improve their customer experience
- Discusses the tools CityGro offers to increase customer engagement through gamification, scratch cards, and more
Bad debt costs millions per year for utilities. Predictive analytics and properly tuned in customer engagement can alleviate and prevent many of these losses. This pre-recorded webinar has some of the foremost experts in the areas of analytics, utility companies and customer success.
- See how predictive analytics as well as a customer service strategy can prevent bad debt
- Using data to determine where your collection efforts are best spent by likeliness to pay
- Keep more debt from becoming delinquent based on indicators before payments are missed
Tom Tsongas, PMP, CSM
This slide presentation gives an overview and discusses key aspects of customer engagement. It explains how customer engagement is the process of fostering and optimizing the relationship with the consumer, as well as the necessary steps that need to be taken to produce the most viable deliverable. It emphasizes the need for improving customer satisfaction scores and giving the customer a lasting impression of your brand.
- Difference between internal and external customers
- Challenges in engaging internal customers
- Internal customer engagement lifecycle
- Key methodologies to achieve customer engagement
This slide presentation is shared by David Williams, Director of iPoint Solutions Ltd., in which he discusses the five vectors of customer engagement. The slides discuss the need to shift from efficiency to effectiveness and the importance of having direct engagement with the customer.
- 5 vectors of customer engagement
- Expanding opportunity with smart everything
- Offshoring and re-shoring
- Keeping up with the competition
This slide presentation primarily discusses the importance of in-store customer engagement and ways to improve it. It also shares analytics of customer behavior and how to grab engagement analytics of the ever connected and the ever-browsing customer. It also shares market evolution details and case studies of a couple of leading organizations.
- Enhancing experience related to shopping at physical stores
- The behavior change brought by E-commerce
- Leveraging proximity techniques and cloud NFC smart tags
- Value proposition of brands
Emilia D’Anzica, MBA, PMP
This slide presentation discusses the importance of having an engagement program and key strategies to jumpstart customer engagement in your organization. It also shares recent customer analysis and platforms that can be used for customer relationship management and offers guidance on creating an action plan for your engagement program.
- Analysis of customer journey
- Gamification of customer experience
- Strategies for mobilizing your network
- Action plan for continuous engagement
The slide presentation focuses on implementing AI that is capable of autonomous human-like customer engagement. It advocates the use of Plumb5 which is a unified data platform that is built using the concepts of a real-time decision process. It renders seamless engagement between touch-points like web, mobile, email, SMS, and other channels of communication.
- Introduction to Plumb5 platform
- Data preparation for individual customers
- Connecting all data sources
- Unification technique
- Machine learning workflow
- Segmentation and dynamic personalization
This slide presentation talks about wearable tech that can function as a multi-disciplinary analysis. It discusses smart body apparel and various factors such as personal, environmental, and physical that come into play when designing and implementing with wearable tech.
- How to stay consumer-centric
- Utilizing mobile devices and connected watches
- Today’s wearable tech eco-system
This series of slides are from the 4th annual online customer engagement survey report of 2010. The presentation comments on the report, provides an executive summary and goes into an in-depth discussion regarding customer management. It discusses the importance of repeated interactions that strengthen the emotional, psychological, or physical investment of the customer in the brand, product, or company.
- Behaviors and dimensions to consider for customer engagement campaigns
- Importance of message relevance and medium selection for customer engagement
- Improving online customer engagement
- Increasing value delivered and long-term customer engagement
This presentation created by Richard Sedley, CEO at EY-Saren, is a series of slides discussing various factors, mediums, and analysis that can be used for creating effective customer engagement strategies.
- Permission based marketing
- Touch strategies
- Proposition development
- Psycho-graphic profiling
- Behavioral targeting
- Contextual targeting
This is a series of slides that talk about the core-essentials or ingredients of customer engagement. It discusses how mobile users and millennials are going to drive the future. It focuses on developing customer engagement and enhancing customer experience by a combination of either physical or digital stores, along with the application of continuous commerce.
- Using M-commerce to drive E-commerce
- Location marketing
- Instant Gratification Marketplaces
The series of slides in this presentation talk about the rapid technology changes that need to be made to boost customer engagement. It talks about the changing web, which is a decentralized, two-way channel for public communication in real-time and also how to deal with the ever-changing competition landscape.
- Dealing with pocket web
- Enhancing visitor experience
- Improve touch-points
- Dealing with change
SAP Customer Experience
This slide presentation offers a series of facts that gives an idea of where customer engagement is headed in the future. It shares statistics related to customer engagement in different fields such as electronics, banking, hotels, and the retail market.
- Necessity of engaging customers on social media
- Statistics relating customer spending with customer experience
- Effectiveness of customer usage algorithm
- Importance of being customer-centric
Braze (formerly Appboy)
This series of slides gives an in-depth understanding of customer engagement. It talks about the process of actively building, nurturing, and managing relationships with customers. The customer journey is no longer linear, which makes creating a customer engagement strategy more complex. Therefore, it is easier to sell to an existing customer than acquire a new one.
- Customer acquisition and metrics marketing
- Leveraging CRM data to better understand customers
- Segmentation to increase the relevancy and effectiveness of campaigns
- Using multiple channels for maximum impact
This series of informative slides discusses the upcoming “engagement economy” as the foreseen new era. It presents the 2017 marketing benchmark report and shares success stories that have worked for leading organizations.
- Need for an engagement platform
- Quality of engagements
- Personalized engagement
- Custom scoring models
- Multi-touch reporting
This series of slides aims at predicting the future of customer engagement. It talks about how the definition of customer engagement has changed with evolving customers, social change, and customer demands that drive marketing. It discusses how to identify the challenges in delivering customer engagement and how these challenges can be addressed.
- Strategies in customer engagement
- Identification and addressing challenges
- Customer engagement maturity model
This presentation discusses digital transformation and the key difference between customer experience and customer engagement. It talks about the science of marketing, and how marketing has evolved with machine learning and omni-channel architecture.
- Right message
- Right Time
- Right channel
This series of slides discusses some of the key strategies that are vital for increasing customer engagement. It talks about the importance of humans being multi-dimensional and how they can be engaged on other levels that are not directly related to the company’s product. It discusses the sharing of stories and how providing customers with real time benefits are keys to continuous customer engagement.
- Engage and enroll customers by sharing your story
- Use customer data effectively to generate relevant content
- Share customer reviews on social media
- Attempt to engage customers on an emotional level
This series of slides shows a step-by-step guide to improve the engagement level of customers and make your organization customer-centric. It talks at length about initiatives that need to be taken to improve customer engagement, and understanding the strength and weakness of the organization to design the most effective customer engagement plan.
- Customer journey mapping
- Initiative preparation and technology selection
- Strategy selection for customer engagement and advocacy
Amazon Web Services
The digital customer leaves behind an explosion of data that is collected across all touchpoints. This series of slides gives a walkthrough of the research and industry analysis conducted in the field of customer engagement. It also educates about how Amazon Web Services (AWS) and FICO can help in building better customer engagement for your organization.
- Data driven, highly scientific approach to optimize omni-channel customer experience
- Using existing customer data to predict future behavior
- Model outbound and real-time customer interactions to create effective campaigns
- Core benefits of using AWS
This series of slides focuses on identifying all of the relevant technological components that seamlessly integrate with one another. It further discusses that end-to-end digital marketing strategies are key to developing a strong customer base for any organization.
- Search engine marketing and related online campaigns
- Accurate application of the digital marketing funnel
- Developing a successful digital marketing strategy
This series of slides teach how to develop customer engagement strategies that increase customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. The presentation talks about the advent of the digital customer and how to use omni-channel methods to build trust and engage the customer. It also covers concerns of the company regarding the cost of the campaigns and how to optimize budget limits.
- Customer engagement in the digital era
- Personal value chain of customers
- Multichannel customer engagement
- Analysis of Dialog Axiata Group case study
MIT Sloan Management Review
Here is a very data-based slide presentation reviewing “key findings” from the 2018 Data & Analytics Global Executive Study and Research Report. If you’re not using any form of analytics at the moment, the results found may convince you to start.
- Using analytics is a competitive advantage that continues to improve
- The data provided by analytics is improving customer engagement for those employing it
- Experienced analytics users are using more data points to improve engagement
- The power of sharing data
The Digital Insurer
A great set of useful slides from a series of presentations at a conference specifically from insurers. There are four distinct presentations all dealing with the topic of improving both customer engagement and customer experience. While it is intended for insurers, the strategies are broad and can benefit nearly any industry.
- How insurers can specifically drive customer engagement by embracing the “age of the customer”
- How AI and Machine Learning can improve customer experience
- Insights into the customer via online engagement
- “Uplifting” the experience of an insurer’s customer
A long title that says exactly what to expect within the slides. Kissmetrics is known for quality content as well as creating tools that give incredibly useful data. This presentation deals with both creating good content and using it to the fullest for data-backed engagement.
- A clean-cut definition of good content, how to “cut through the noise” and telling good stories
- Detailed, itemized list of the ways storytelling content can fuel your business objectives
- Further resources to continue your data and storytelling journey
What customer engagement strategies are most crucial to your organization in the digital world? Tweet at us @CallMiner and let us know!